Dev Diary #6 – Asset Creation #2

Asset Creation



Over the past couple of weeks I have been creating some 2D sprites for Sound Vapour. The first of which being the ground that the shapes fall onto:

I started with a small section about 10-15% of the width of the image above and gave it a basic brown background then proceeded to draw breaks in the rocks/dirt to give it a bit of texture. These were drawn in a way that they could tesselate horizontally so I could just copy-paste the texture as many times as I needed to get my desired width.

Then added the grass top, pretty simple what I did there.

Then I decided to add grass blades in the same way I did the dirt texture, after drawing a certain length of grass blades, I made them tesselate with itself horizontally and copied it across the length of the dirt. Giving this end result.


The dial here is made up of a total of 5 sprites, the base dial sprite and 4 “highlighted” sector sprites.

These highlighted sectors are coloured in a way that gives the dial a 3D effect when selecting shapes just to give the dial a cooler effect.


Main Music

Due to feedback we felt the need to shorten the song was justified as well as editing the song to not be so ear-screaching… if you know what I mean.
I began by cutting off the song at approximately 3m50s in accordance to the changes I made in the Feature spec document and gave it a smooth fade out effect to end the song discretely.
This is the waveform after applying the fadeout effect.

I noticed the waveforms beforehand were peaking constantly and figured this may be a reason why the song seemed difficult to listen to. By normalizing, I hope to make the song much easier on the ears to listen to.

After normalizing I applied an automatic pitch correction effect. This helped remove any distortion that may have been present in the current edit. Giving a final result of a shorter song thats now much easier to listen to for an extended amount of time making the play experience more enjoyable.

Particle Effect for Laser

In all honesty, my knowledge of particle effects before this was next to 0, with no idea on how they worked or how to make my own or edit one.

So after doing a bit of research and finding some examples from the unity asset store, to play around with, I discovered a particle effect that had similar properties to what I was looking for.

After playing around with this for several hours, I came to understand that all the modules of the particle effect and fine tune it to the point of completion as seen in the animated gif file above.

Modules I changed included:

  • Main Module
    • Duration
    • Looping
    • Start Lifetime
    • Start Speed
    • Start Size
    • Start Rotation
    • Start Color
    • Gravity Modifier
    • Play on Awake
  • Emission
    • Rate over Time
  • Color Over Lifetime
    • Color
  • Collision
    • Planes
    • Radius Scale
    • Send Collision Messages
  • Sub Emitters
    • Collision
  • Trails
    • Lifetime
    • Texture Mode
  • Renderer
    • Render Mode
    • Material
    • Min Particle Size
    • Max Particle Size
After familiarizing myself with these properties, I’ve begun to gain an understanding on how to modify and create new particle effects from scratch and to get it to behave as intended.
Software Used:
  • Adobe Photoshop CC
  • GIMP 2.0
  • Adobe Audition

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: